- Two female officers Gagandeep Gambhir and Nupur Prasad are also in the CBI investigation team
- Anil Yadav, who has investigated the deaths related to the Vyapam case in Madhya Pradesh, is the investigating officer
Actor Sushant Singh Rajput allegedly committed suicide on 14 June. Maharashtra Police and Bihar Police were separately investigating this. However, now the matter has been transferred to the CBI on the recommendation of the Bihar government.
The Supreme Court on August 19 handed over the investigation of the case to the CBI in a major judgment. After registering an FIR on August 6, the CBI has formed a Special Investigation Team (SIT) in the case. It will be headed by Gujarat cadre IPS officer Manoj Sasidhar, who is considered close to Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Home Minister Amit Shah.
Gagandeep Gambhir and Nupur Prasad have also been included in the four-member SIT team so that there is no problem in interrogating women accused. Anil Yadav will remain the investigating officer in this case.
Who are these four officers?
1.Manoj Shashidhar, Joint Director: Shah was brought in CBI
- Manoj Shashidhar, a 1994 batch IPS officer of Gujarat cadre, has been appointed joint director of CBI in January. His name was approved by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Manoj Shashidhar served many important positions when Narendra Modi was the Chief Minister of Gujarat. Before joining CBI, Manoj Shashidhar was posted as DGP, CID (Intelligence Bureau) in Gujarat.
- Sources say that Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Jagan Reddy wanted the investigation of the case related to him to be handed over to a non-Telugu-speaking joint director. In this regard, he also wrote a letter to Home Minister Amit Shah. Only after this, Manoj was called to Delhi from Gujarat.
- Prior to this, he has worked in sensitive positions like Police Commissioner (Vadodara), DCP Crime Branch (Ahmedabad) and Joint Commissioner (Ahmedabad). The special thing is that so far they have not failed in any investigation.
- Manoj Shashidhar has been on deputation to the CBI for five years. Earlier, Vijay Mallya has supervised the investigation of the case. He is known as a no-nonsense officer in the CBI. There is high-risk, high-tension working environment.
2.Gagandeep Gambhir, DIG: Effective investigation in Uttar Pradesh’s illegal mining case
- Raised in Muzaffarnagar, Bihar, Gagandeep Gambhir studied at Punjab University. She has also been a topper there. He is a 2004 batch IPS officer of Gujarat cadre and is considered a mastermind in the CBI investigation.
- Gambhir does not know what political pressure is. That is why he was given the responsibility of investigating the role of Akhilesh Yadav in the illegal mining case in UP. He then investigated the creation scandal and journalist Upendra Rai case.
- Gambhir wanted to become a police officer since childhood. Even after getting a good ranking in the UPSC examination, she chose IPS instead of IAS and became a Gujarat cadre officer.
3. Nupur Prasad, SP: Connection to Bihar made part of the investigation team
- Nupur Prasad is an IPS officer of 2007 batch AGMUT cadre. Nupur, a resident of Tikari in Gaya district of Bihar, is counted as one of the fiercest female officers of the CBI.
- Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar graduated from Bihar University. He started his career as DCP Shahdara in Delhi Police in 2007. Recently, he has been promoted to SP and sent to CBI.
4.Anil Kumar Yadav, DSP: Investigated murder of people associated with Vyapam scam
- DSP Anil Kumar Yadav is from Madhya Pradesh. When it comes to the complex investigation of murder, they have proved their ability in it many times. He has investigated the deaths of people associated with the Vyapam scam of Madhya Pradesh.
- Yadav has been awarded the Police Medal on Republic Day in 2015 for his work. He has been made an investigating officer in the Sushant case. Prior to Vyapam, Yadav has also been part of the investigation team in high-profile cases such as the Commonwealth scam and the AgustaWestland scam.
- Yadav has earlier investigated the Shopian case as well as the Vijay Mallya case. An official who has worked with Yadav says that Yadav’s role will be crucial in explaining whether this team is committed or murdered by Sushant Singh Rajput.
How will the investigation proceed?
- Mukesh Sahni, who retired from the post of Senior SP in CBI, said that the investigation of the case will be done on the basis of the FIR lodged by the Bihar Police. Now the CBI will collect the documents based on the investigation till now by the Bihar and Maharashtra Police. This includes call detail record (CDR), bank account details, etc.
- The Bihar police have so far been able to take statements of only Sushant’s family members. The statements of others, including Riya, have not been recorded. CBI will do this work now. The CBI will have to collect CCTV footage, interrogation details, post-mortem report, FSL (Forensic Science Laboratory) reports from Mumbai Police.
- After collecting the documents, the investigating officer will prepare an action plan. On that, the top officers of CBI will decide what will be the direction of the investigation. After this Yadav will start his work. The most important in this will be the re-creation of the event.
- By the way, in every case, in 15 days, 30 days, the investigating officer has to submit the progress report to the higher authorities. But, given the seriousness of the matter, it seems that every step will be reviewed by higher officials.
- The Supreme Court has clearly stated in its rulings that the abetment to suicide is proved only if the intent of the accused is proved in one way or the other. Because of this, it will be a necessary condition in furthering the investigation.
- The FIR alleges that Riya and her relatives incited Sushant to suicide. Through investigation, the CBI has to prove that Riya’s motive was that Sushant should commit suicide.
- Physical evidence, as well as circumstantial evidence (circumstantial evidence), will be necessary. This will be questioned by Riya’s relatives, Sushant’s friends, friends and everyone who can speak openly about their relationship.
Updates: what happened in this case so far?
- Sushant Singh Rajput was found hanging on a snare in his Mumbai flat on 14 June. Mumbai Police was investigating this. Meanwhile, Sushant’s father KK Singh filed an FIR on 25 July in Patna, Bihar.
- In the Bihar Police FIR, Riya and her relatives are accused of abetting Sushant to suicide. Also, there are allegations of wrongly withdrawing 15 crore rupees from Sushant’s account. The Enforcement Directorate (ED) is investigating it.
- Riya filed a petition in the Supreme Court when the Bihar Police started the investigation. Said that the case registered in Patna be transferred to Mumbai. Meanwhile, the Bihar government recommended the CBI probe and the Center also approved it.
- The Bihar government, in an affidavit filed in the Supreme Court, alleged that the Mumbai Police was not cooperating in the investigation. Neither providing forensic reports nor CCTV footage. It also described it as the basis for handing over the investigation to the CBI.
- The Supreme Court ordered a CBI inquiry on 19 August. It also said that even though the Mumbai Police has so far conducted a thorough investigation, doubts have arisen on him. In such a situation, the CBI needs to hand over the investigation to maintain the fairness and credibility of the investigation.