- The political journey started in 1969, handled all big portfolios like Foreign, Finance, Defense Minister
- Pranab Mukherjee was awarded the country’s highest honour Bharat Ratna in 2019.
Former President Pranab Mukherjee (84) died in the hospital on Monday. His last rites will be performed at around 2 pm today at the crematorium ghat on Lodhi Road, New Delhi. Pranab’s body is kept at his 10 Rajaji Marg residence for his last darshan. Several leaders, including Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Defense Minister Rajnath Singh, CDS Bipin Rawat and the heads of the three armies paid tributes to the former President. The funeral will be performed with Corona Protocol.
Chief of Army Staff Bipin Rawat and the three Army Chiefs also paid tribute to Pranab.
Pranab died on Monday evening. From August 10, he was admitted to the Army Research and Referral (R&R) Hospital in Delhi. Emergency was performed on the same day to remove clotting from the brain. Since then, his condition remained critical. They were placed on ventilators. He was also infected with Corona. A 7-day national mourning has been declared on Pranab’s death.
President Kovind, PM Modi expressed grief
President Ram Nath Kovind and Prime Minister Narendra Modi have mourned the death of Pranab Mukherjee. Modi wrote- “India mourns the passing away of Bharat Ratna Shri Pranab Mukherjee. He has left an indelible mark on the development path of our nation. He was a scholar. He was liked by every section of the society. In 2014 I Arrived in Delhi. From the very first day, I received the guidance, support and blessings of Mr Pranab Mukherjee. I will always cherish my conversation with him. I have my condolences to his family, friends, fans and his supporters across India. Om Shanti. “
- 7-day national mourning was declared on the death of the former president.
- US Ambassador to India Ken Juster said that during his career, Pranab Mukherjee contributed significantly in strengthening the relationship between India and the US.
- Sri Lankan Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa said that Pranab was a good politician, writer and loved one. The way he served his country cannot be compared.
- Senior BJP leader LK Advani said- He was more than a companion for me. We have spent many precious moments within and outside our social circle. The memory of having dinner with them often holds a special place in my heart.
- The Sangh said that it will not be easy to fill this void in India’s political-social life. He was a guide for us due to Pranab Mukherjee’s love and harmony towards the Sangh. Their departure is an irreparable loss to the Sangh.